Monday, December 31, 2012

Gossip Girl: Would I Lie To You?

Happy New Year to everyone! Wishing you all the luck in the world with all the resolutions and reminding you to party safe!

Author: Cecily Von Ziegesar

Pages: 192

Publisher: Little Brown and Company

Summary (from the publisher):
Welcome to New York City's Upper East Side where my friends and I live, and go to school, and play, and sleep - sometimes with each other.We all live in huge apartments with our own bedrooms and bathrooms and phone lines.We're smart, we've inherited classic good looks, we have fantastic clothes, and we know how to party... Continuing the #1 New York Times bestselling series about the provocative lives of New York City's most prestigious private school young adults. Sharp wit, intriguing characters, and high stakes melodrama drive the action of this addictive series that have made Gossip Girl the lit world's coveted "it" girl.

Thoughts:
Everyone has graduated (except for Nate who is working at his Coach's Hampton house). Blair and Serena have these weird European twins flown in by Bailey Winter who end up trying to take over their spotlight from the fashion campaign B & S were muses for. Vanessa had started babysitting in the last book, but in this book she leaves after coming to the Hamptons. She comes back to the city to find Dan exploring his sexuality with a guy named Greg (coworker at The Strand). This happens in a drunken same-sex orgy that was originally supposed to be a literary salon. The story and even some of the editing seemed very lazy. On page 126, they misspelled the word "brother" and put "bother". The one thing I will say was that this was the first time I've seen the series use a Craigslist ad and letters. I also liked some of the quotes being quoted during the literary stuff that was going on (ex. "Weren't ideas, when all is said and done, so superior to reality?" page 64). That was a pleasant surprise, but it wasn't something I could enjoy for long. I was more annoyed than shocked when Serena had her "realization" that she loves Nate this whole time. Not only was it in the tenth book, it was also in the last third half of the book. I'll read the other books after this only because I bought them (so I don't want to waste money). However, I don't know if wasting my time reading them will make up for the money. Since the TV show is over, I don't feel as obligated anymore to finish the series if it's not that well-written. We'll see. My next review will show my decision. 


No comments:

Post a Comment